As a busy, stay-at-home mother of five, (including two, busy, stay-at-home pre-schoolers) this is a place I can record my thoughts before they leave me. It may be that really profound thought I have with no one to share it with or the question I want to remember to ask someone before getting interrupted. And most recently its the place that I can record our journey to bring baby brother(s) home.

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Start Spreading the News...

Wow! Thirteen hours later and we're finally in New York (in a KOA campground 7 miles away from Niagara Falls)! This is the furthest north I've ever been (not to worry - I brought my own sweet tea). Our day began when the alarm went off at 4:45 this morning. Ben had to be at the airport early to check in to his flight for Cornell Univ. where he is attending a wrestling camp this week. The rest of us pulled out of the driveway right at 7:30. (I should say Mark backed the big bus carefully out of the driveway. I didn't notice any ruts in the grass alongside the driveway but I'm still not to the point I can open my eyes until we're heading straight down the road.)

It wasn't really until Ben sent me a message saying he had made his connection in Philly and then met up with the Cornell folks at Ithaca that I could really breath easy. We did have a discussion though afterwards whether or not his plane from Philly to Ithaca was any bigger than our RV. I think he said it was a little bit bigger.

The drive, while long, was really pretty uneventful (thank God!). Mark's mapquested directions (with my expert navigation skills) got us here with no wrong turns or unkind words. Somewhere in Kentucky I realized that you need the same skills for walking in a moving vehicle as maybe a sailor sailing on rough waters. After taking a bang to the rib cage by a door handle Mark informed me that I needed to grow sealegs. I don't know but I'm thinking maybe Kentucky needs to spend a little of their stimulus money on road repairs?

Most of my walking around involved taking the girls to the "fun" potty. It was in the 2ft. x 2ft. bathroom rotisserie (Mark's term) that we probably had our most excitement. Anna had decided she needed to poo poo in the potty so we went running back as quick as we could. What I didn't realize was that at the same time we were approaching downtown Columbus, OH. Luckily for Anna's sake I had one arm holding on to her when we hit a bump from the underworld that just about sent her down the potty. Needless to say that trip to the potty produced no tangible results and the potty became much less fun.

I know some of you may be asking "but what did you cook this time in that fabulous convection microwave." Knowing that we'd be eating dinner most probably parked in a Flying J or similar truck stop, I prepared baked spaghetti ahead of time and just heated it up in the microwave. I also found that the girls actually make less of a mess with baked spaghetti versus the runny sauce kind.

Well, it is rather late and we have a big day planned tomorrow. Matthew and Mary Grace want to fish in the KOA fishing ponds in the morning and then we are touring Niagara Falls tomorrow afternoon. Look for pictures tomorrow - I remembered my camera cord this time! Hey Nashville friends, it's only suppose to get to 75 tomorrow. Do you think I'll need a ...

No comments: