As a busy, stay-at-home mother of five, (including two, busy, stay-at-home pre-schoolers) this is a place I can record my thoughts before they leave me. It may be that really profound thought I have with no one to share it with or the question I want to remember to ask someone before getting interrupted. And most recently its the place that I can record our journey to bring baby brother(s) home.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Fantasy Island without Tatoo

I was right about everyone sleeping good last night. The girls slept until 9am! This morning we had to pack everything up and tie it down as we had to be out of the KOA park by 11. Mark and Matthew fixed the washer (or so I will probably find out the next time I use it). We drove the RV just next door to the Martin’s Fantasy Island Amusement Park.

It was our lucky day…with overcast skies and a high of 69 expected, there was hardly anyone in the parking lot or park! This park reminded me so much of our beloved old Opryland Park (when will my kids quit asking me why they put an outlet mall there?!) Mark and I took the girls to the Kiddie rides. To say they loved it would be an understatement. Elizabeth drove her sporty blue car just like her big brother Ben. Anna had the biggest smile on her face flying backwards in her ladybug (do you think Elizabeth would let her have the front seat?!) The only part of the Kiddie area they weren’t totally fond of was the petting zoo (the sheep with horns running around loose and the goat with no ears didn’t thrill me either).

We caught up with Matthew and Mary Grace, who by this time had ridden the rollercoaster 4 times and probably about every other ride too (there were no lines anywhere – it really was Fantasy Island for a kid!). We all headed out to the parking lot to enjoy lunch on the RV (ah! Fantasy Island for Mom, Dad, and the wallet too!)

We got back into the park in time for me to take Anna and Elizabeth to the Fairy Tale Theater show while Mark, Matthew and Mary Grace went to ride the rollercoaster and some more big kid rides. Okay, this is where Martin’s Fantasy Island ceased to be like Opryland. The show was basically people dressed up moving their mouths to the way too loud recording. Anna started crying immediately and I’m not sure if it was the scary ape looking guy or the really loud sound blasting out of the speakers. Of course, Elizabeth loved it. After a quick text to Mark, he came and rescued Anna and Elizabeth enjoyed the rest of the show. She even shook hands with the princess (the only normal looking character in all the land) after the show.

The rest of our time there was spent riding rides in the big kid area (Anna rode the ferris wheel – yikes!). We all took our turns going down the incredibly huge slide with the girls (I pulled a muscle in my leg just climbing the stairs to the top and had to retire after just one ride down with Anna). Matthew and Mary Grace did a couple of rides in the water park before they had had enough of the freezing water. It felt like we had the whole water park to ourselves – to bad the water was just soooo cold!

Around 4 we headed back out to the RV (but not without 2 more rides on the rollercoaster) to start on our trip down to Watkins Glen. Most of the 3 hour drive was again just incredibly beautiful. (Who would have thought New York had so much beauty to offer?!) We traveled along Seneca Lake, which was one winery after another. The sun shining down on the hills around the lake just made everything glow. I think this trip has completely changed my opinion of New York. Too bad most of us associate all of New York with New York City.

We arrived at the Watkins Glen KOA campground before dark and got all situated. This campground has more of a camping in the woods kind of feel. Our site looks out over a wooded area (tonight sitting around a fire with Matthew and Mary Grace I just couldn’t help but think of what might be lurking out in them woods!) I told Mark I would love to get up in the morning and sit out there and drink a cup of coffee taking it all in. Unfortunately, if I were to wake up before everyone to do that I would have to crawl over 2 beds to get out the door and probably wake up everyone in the process. Oh well, maybe I’ll just settle for…

No comments: