As a busy, stay-at-home mother of five, (including two, busy, stay-at-home pre-schoolers) this is a place I can record my thoughts before they leave me. It may be that really profound thought I have with no one to share it with or the question I want to remember to ask someone before getting interrupted. And most recently its the place that I can record our journey to bring baby brother(s) home.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

All Wet But Having Fun!

Today was the most incredible day! It didn’t hurt that the girls decided to sleep in til 7am (okay I know we’re on eastern time and that means we really didn’t sleep that extra hour but mentally it did). Matthew and Mary Grace got to fish in one of the KOA fishing ponds and did quite well (Matthew 4, Mary Grace 1 large one).







Mark and I took the girls in a paddleboat, which thrilled them.









After lunch we were picked up for our tour of the Falls by a very pleasant Niagara Falls native named Rita. We started the tour by visiting Whirlpool Park.
We then went on to Cave of the Winds where we were given rain ponchos and nifty souvenir rubber sandals and descended 175 feet in an elevator. We then proceeded to climb umpteen steps (Mark carrying Anna and me carrying Elizabeth) in pouring rain (actually part rain/part water from the Fall I couldn’t really tell the difference). It was the craziest experience but Elizabeth, my water bug, loved it! Anna, on the other hand, did not like getting her face wet one bit. Mark and I stopped before we got to the top and Matthew and Mary Grace went all the way up and got a big drenching splash.


After drying off a bit we stopped at a little touristy shop for a quick snack and postcards (I felt like I was back home stopping at the Concord General Store with all the country music tour groups). Then it was off to Goat Island to see Horseshoe Falls on foot. We loaded back on the bus and took off for the Maid of the Mist where we got new rain ponchos (we were all still wearing our rubber sandals so we could really look the part of the tourist) and boarded the boat. To see the Bridal Falls and the American Falls from down below was just incredible – again wet, but incredible. Mark took Anna under shelter and I stood in the middle of it all with Elizabeth who loved it! About every which way you looked there was a beautiful rainbow in the Falls. (Okay, for my spiritual moment – looking at the Falls I couldn’t help but hear “praise God from whom all blessings flow” in my head). I love the mountains and I love the ocean but this had to be the most breathtaking sight I have ever seen in nature.

Since we all arrived back to the RV wet I decided it was time to try out the washer/dryer combo unit again. About the time we had the little ones in the shower Matthew noticed water gushing out from underneath the washer. We got that cleaned up and Mark realized that the drain hose had come out of the pipe leading out of the RV (my guess is all the bumps through Kentucky and Ohio sent that hose right out of that pipe). Because of the way the washer sits in the cabinet Mark knew he couldn’t fix it until morning so Mary Grace and I hauled all the wet clothes to the KOA laundry room at around 10pm and spent some quality time playing air hockey while waiting.

After a day like today I think everyone will sleep very ….

No comments: