As a busy, stay-at-home mother of five, (including two, busy, stay-at-home pre-schoolers) this is a place I can record my thoughts before they leave me. It may be that really profound thought I have with no one to share it with or the question I want to remember to ask someone before getting interrupted. And most recently its the place that I can record our journey to bring baby brother(s) home.

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

RV Vacation DAy Five




Five days and I'm starting to get the hang of living on an RV. This morning we got up to Elizabeth's alarm clock and Mark made us pancakes for breakfast. Of course it was only Mark and us girls because the boys have managed to sleep over with friends just about every night. I guess the newness and thrill of the glittered dinette bed is losing its sparkle. Matthew did come home for dinner last night sporting a superman tattoo on his chest. Luckily for Matthew it's the kind that will only be on his body for a couple of months. I know some of you folks out there are thinking "you better start picking your battles." Luckily for Mark and I our kids are terrified of needles (with the exception of Ben who is sick and tired of them) and I don't think the real tattoos are very appealing to them.

Oh, I almost forgot...we did a real camping thing last night...we made s'mores over the grill (what was left of the dying coals). I was so excited to teach the girls about this real Brownie moment only to see them tearing their s'mores apart...Anna eating only the chocolate and Elizabeth only the marshmallow. Oh well, I tried.

After our breakfast this morning we (Mark and us girls) headed down to the beach. It didn't take us long to feel the effects of the 30 mph wind gusts and Anna saying she was ready to go home (and not the RV one). One quick trip back to the RV to pick up sweatshirts, Cheetos and brownie bites and she was happy to be at the beach again. Ben did decide to join us later at the beach. I'm a little worried as Ben has started wearing tank tops (well a t-shirt he cut the sleeves off of) and made the comment the first day at the beach that now he knew all the working out and conditioning for wrestling was paying off. (Hmm, making it to State or impressing chicks - which is more important to an almost 16 year old boy?)

One tradition that we have developed over the past several years is Mark and his "sand art" while we're at the beach. Now before you start thinking oh yea like the guy who sculpts Jesus every day only to have it wash away every night, Mark's aren't that spiritual. He usually picks a different one to make each day and so far they have included things like a VW bug, space shuttle, fighter plane, and the one he recreated today, the hammerhead shark with a man's legs sticking out of its mouth. (I wish I had thought to bring the cord to my camera and I'd post the picture, but will when I get home.) I love to watch the looks on people's faces as they walk by and try to figure out that one. And to think Mark's an accountant/computer geek/investor by day.

Tonight mom got a break from cooking (first time since leaving for vacation - what's wrong here?) We left the RV at 4:15 setting out for a family/kid friendly kind of restaurant. What a nice surprise when we walked into the Crab Trap and got seated right away - gee, we can't even do that in Brentwood/Cool Springs! Dinner was good (of course, because I didn't have to cook it) and the girls got to eat out of buckets.

Mark had told the big kids he'd take them to Tracks tonight and I said I'd stay at the RV with the little girls for a quiet evening. The girls and I had an Easter egg hunt (with our new buckets) in the RV (it was freezing outside tonight), yes, with real candy! I let them eat to their hearts desire so it would be gone by morning and then we went for a short walk around the RV Resort. I then bathed both girls single-handily in the teeny tiny RV shower and got them to sleep almost in time to watch American Idol. (Okay I cheated a little bit by letting them lay on the fold out bed while I watched the last half - guess that candy binge wasn't such a helpful thing. Now I'm sitting here in the peace and quiet of my comfy RV listening to the 30 mph wind gusts outside and Fox News on the dish inside waiting for the others to come home. Hey, did I just refer to the RV as "home?" Maybe this ...

No comments: