Okay, so maybe this blogging thing is harder than I thought. My last post was nearly 2 months ago. I've thought about it a lot over the past couple of months but just never gotten the opportunity to sit long enough at the computer to complete my thoughts (hence, the title of my blog maybe?). Oh well, maybe this will be one of my New Year Resolutions that I rarely make. It would probably help if there was something out there to get me really riled up. I'm kind of tired of the political stuff. I will share with you some thoughts I wrote back in November and intended to share with you then but never got around to finishing. Maybe this will be my 2 resolution for the new year.
Interrupted thoughts from November:
Last Sunday a guest preacher at our church gave a surprising statistic. Ninety-seven percent of all evangelical Christians will never share the gospel with a non-believer. I find that to be sad, but I guess not unexpected. It has led me to wonder this week why that is. I'm sure there are dozens of reasons but I'll begin with myself.
Are we too self-absorbed in our own lives to share the gospel with others? We are all too busy - there is no doubt about that. But what are we busy with? Also, no doubt that most of what we are busy with are good things, family, work, church, school. While these are all good things that need to be taken care of are our lives so crammed full of activities that we are forgetting (or ignoring) the Great Commission? Are we selfishly keeping the Good News to ourselves? One thing that I have come to realize since scaling back a lot of my volunteer work is that the church and schools haven't fallen apart. On the other hand, I look around and see a lot of lives that have. Could having the hope of Christ shared with them made a difference? Probably, yes.
Are we living under the false assumption that everyone around us is saved? It's easy to fall into this when you live in a community where everyone is generally nice and most people you associate with are church goers. I think most of the time we don't put ourselves out there to go beneath the surface. (This is probably where someone came in the kitchen with a request for poster board they "just found out" they needed tomorrow, or someone shared with me they had nothing clean to wear despite the fact that I do several loads of laundry every day, or they had a poopy diaper. You pick.)
At any rate, I'll give this blogging another try and continue to work on my 2nd resolution. Here's wishing you a Happy....
1 comment:
I think you have hit on some of the true reasons. I think another reason people don't share the gospel is that they falsely think the "don't know how." They are so worried about hard questions that they cannot answer that they forget simply to tell what has happened to them. It is our personal testimonies that matter to our friends, not explaining how many angels can dance on the head of a pin or whether God can make a rock so big that He can't move it.
Nice work on the blog. Keep it up.
Post a Comment