I thought I'd start my first official post with the issue that got me motivated to start speaking up in the first place. Last week I was reading some postings on a yahoo group site that was set up for people who have adopted transracially or bi-racially. Someone had stated in her comments that Obama was pro-life. Having never posted anything in the 2 1/2 years of being a member of the group, I ventured out to explain why I thought Obama was not pro-life. I was politely asked to end the political discussion by the group owner. If I can figure out how to dis-join the group I'm going to! I thank God everyday that a certain woman valued two little lives enough that she was willing to carry them for 9 months and give me the privilege and joy of raising them.
I've always had trouble reconciling how a Christian can support a pro-choice candidate. I think I have figured it out until someone can tell me otherwise. As a pro-life advocate, I believe that human life should be valued above all else. We are created by God in His image and Jeremiah tells us God even knows us before we are in the womb (Jer. 1:5). All human life is valued by God and we are called to hold that same kind of value (or love). The difference, I think, comes when someone puts a condition in front of their value of life. Maybe they do value life but their value is dependent upon someone else's choice of a life's value. Someone offered the suggestion to me that a pro-choice person just doesn't want to be told what to do. That may be true but does that justify ending a life?
I know there are many issues to consider when supporting one candidate over another. However, I believe that the sanctity of human life is by far the most significant issue to consider because when we lose sight of it's value our society and humankind suffers the most. We can recover from a failed economy, we can conserve energy or find alternatives, we can find people that are still willing to sacrifice their lives to protect our freedoms here and abroad, and I guess we can work harder to support the outrageous government spending. What we cannot do is bring back the millions of lives that are lost each year to abortions. We cannot expect our society to hold a level of "sanctity" to any human life, including those of us that are walking and breathing, if we are choosing which lives to keep and which ones to terminate.
Okay, I can tell this blogging thing is going to take time and energy and it's already got me worked up right before bedtime! I really would like to hear arguments/discussions to either side of this issue. I do think you have to sign up for a google ID and password to post comments but I think it's pretty painless. As a teaser I'll tell you what I'm thinking some of my next posts will be titled "If Obama is Pro-Choice Why is He Taking Choices Away From Me?", "If a Person is 50% White, 34% Arabic, and 16% African Why are We Not Celebrating Our Country's First Bi-racial President-elect?", and on the lighter side "Will My Girls Really Be Potty Trained by Kinder...
1 comment:
I am totally with you on this one. I don't know how a Christian could possibly support a candidate the supports abortion. There is just no way. What really irked me were the "clergy for obama" groups. I get it that some people are all about change etc, but come on, change is not right when it involves killing of innocent little children.
--I had more to say but the husband said it made me sound crazy so I'be been edited. :-)
Post a Comment