As a busy, stay-at-home mother of five, (including two, busy, stay-at-home pre-schoolers) this is a place I can record my thoughts before they leave me. It may be that really profound thought I have with no one to share it with or the question I want to remember to ask someone before getting interrupted. And most recently its the place that I can record our journey to bring baby brother(s) home.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Process, the Paperwork, and Sparkles

I thought I'd post a little bit of an update on the progress we are making towards bringing baby brother home. I have compared the amount of paperwork required to being more painful than the 3 labors I have experienced. Actually, it's not that hard it's just alot. And every piece of paper we touch we have to have notarized.

For now I'd break the process into 4 pieces: home study, dossier, the wait, and the travel to bring baby brother home. The paperwork for the home study is completed. We are waiting for the FBI to return our fingerprint results. This could take up to 2 months! (They received them on May 14th so I'll be anxious to see how fast they get here.) We also have a home visit schedule for June 7th. The hard part of getting this scheduled was finding a time when the whole family will be home! Mark and I are also required to complete 6 education courses (1 workbook and 5 online classes). Good thing we are used to doing CPE for our CPA's...these are much more interesting too! We have completed 2 online courses and 3 of the 20 chapters in the workbook. The social worker that reviews and approves these courses will be out of the office the whole month of June so our goal is to have these to her on July 1. We would like to think that given the FBI cooperates we could have our home study completed and approved by mid-July.

The dossier is (not only a fun word to say) but basically the paperwork required by the Ethiopian government. We are just down to needing to put together a few more documents and then having them all notarized. There is one that has to be certified by our county clerk and also by the TN Secretary of State. Can't wait to make that trip downtown...not! Once our homestudy is complete and approved we'll send these documents to our agency and they will review them and send them to Ethiopia where they will be translated into their language and reviewed.

Then the wait. As soon as we complete the dossier the wait begins but there's still more paperwork! We have to file a document with our government (part of Homeland Security) called an I-600A. Once that is sent off we wait to get another fingerprint appointment (yes, it would be easy for the FBI to just forward results but hey, then it wouldn't be the government would it?!) Once we get fingerprinted (again) we have to wait the up to 2 months for them to get the result back. By the way, the purpose of this filing is for us to get a visa in order to bring baby brother home to our country. (If you're looking for a specific to pray for...how about praying that the FBI comes through both times is a timely manner.) During this time we are also waiting for the Ethiopian government and the agency working together to match us with our son. This is also called a referral. Once that happens we'll get information and pictures of him! Our agency has told us that based on the facts that we are asking for a boy ages 1-3 our wait could be anywhere from 1 to 6 months from the time our home study is approved.

As far as the travel goes, it looks like at this point 2 trips to Ethiopia will be required. It has been only one trip in the past but the Ethiopian government is in the process of revising those requirements. The first trip is for a court date and a time to meet our son. The second trip is to bring him home. We are both not required to go and we have not decided how or which one of us will go. We have both applied for passports and are waiting for those to arrive in the mail any day now.

I know I have surely left something out of the process as sometimes it seems so overwhelming. But one thing is for sure, God is not only opening the doors for us but I think He's standing there holding it for us! Everything so far has just worked out so smoothly. (Well except for the doctor that kept us and our notary friend waiting for 1 1/2 hours in his office just to sign a simple piece of paper!) Looking through our paperwork I am amazed at how many of our friends are reflected in them...David, Greg and Myra all notaries, Brad the banker, Chris the pediatrician (not the one that kept us waiting), Frank, Rebecca, Jeri, Mary Lea and Richard our references. And then there are the many that have encouraged us along the way.

Also, some of you have asked about names. Since our son will most likely already have a name we are waiting to see what that it. If it's one that hard to pronounce or way out there, we may give him a more "American" name. We have had some interesting dinner time conversations on what those names should be. Elizabeth has chosen "Sparkles." Anna would like to name him "Chocolate." And the rest of us have our own preferences too. For now, I call him baby brother or Sparkles!

I know this post is full of a lot of probably boring details for most of you! You maybe can see why some days I wish I had an epidural to get through this process! When we know more I'll be sure to let you know!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Did you know that Pawpaw was a fingerprint expert (mostly hobby). When we were young he took fingerprints from the 4 of us and sent them to the FBI file in Washington. (Remember the Lindburgh baby)? At the time he was in almost constant contact with the FBI. If he were still alive, I'll bet that he could get them moving!